Home   |  Sitemap  |  Translate

Hedwig Village Police

Subscribe to our E-Notification List

About

Main Image
Item 1 of 10
 
  • chiefscouts
  • DSCF7053
  • hvpd-1
  • hvpd-20
  • hvpd2-4
  • hvpd-5
  • hvpd-9
  • kids2
  • men%20working
  • scouts

The City of Hedwig Village is located in Harris County, Texas and is a part of a collection of upscale communities known as theMemorial Villages. The Memorial Villages also include the cities of Spring Valley Village, Piney Point Village, Bunker Hill Village, Hilshire Village and Hunters Creek Village.

According to local historian Tom Roth, the Memorial Villages derived from land grants given to John Taylor and Isaac Bunker for their service during the Texas War of Independence from Mexico.  Over the years, they sold parts of their land and the area was settled.  In the early years, the area contained mostly farms, but there were also sawmills and lumberyards due to the area being heavily wooded.

In 1954, a group of citizens intent on instituting zoning and resisting being annexed by Houston, incorporated the Memorial Villages and the city of Hedwig Village was born.  The city is named after Hedwig Road, which was named after Hedwig Jankowski Schroeder, a landowner who emigrated from Germany.

Before the incorporation, the Harris County Sheriff’s Office policed the area.  After incorporating, Hedwig Village appointed one paid marshal and had several volunteers patrolling in their own cars.  In 1958, Hedwig Village voted to join with other area cities to form a joint police department.  In 1964, the lot at 9000 Gaylord, where the current police station is located, was purchased for $33,600 and the original Memorial Villages Police Station was built. 

The original officers of the Hedwig Village Police Department

As time passed, the citizens of Hedwig Village realized that in order to meet the unique policing challenges of its community, they would need to form their own police department, and, in December of 1976, the Hedwig Village Police Department was created.  The original department consisted of one police chief and eight police officers.  The first chief was Jimmy Jones, a retired Houston Police Officer.

Today, Hedwig Village is a dynamic city with approximately 2500 residents, over 500 businesses and a day-time population of around 30,000 people.  The police department has become a fully functional modern department with 23 full-time employees and, in 2016, moved into a brand new police station that will allow the department to meet any challenges the future may hold.

Copyright © 2016. Hedwig Village, TX

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM